Monday, January 18, 2010

Benjamin


On Thursady, I found out a friend of mine (and of the worlds) died in Haiti. Ben Larson was one of the best people to enter my life. I know that I am among many people who were blessed to know Ben. There are not enough words to describe what kind of a loss this is. He touched so many people by his existence, and the loss of his life is felt globally. I offer my prayers and condolences to his wife, Renee, and his cousin, Jon who where in Haiti with Ben. I can't imagine the grief they are feeling. I also send my prayers and condolences to his parents, April and Judd, and his family and friends. The love that his parents had for him was so full. I think every space of their hearts was full for Ben and everything he accomplished.

I keep listening to his music. It is so strange that Ben's words are my biggest consolation. He has blessed us in life and somehow found comfort for us after. I read an article where the pastor from his internship in Lincoln said, "God keeps us all together even when we feel we are falling apart." This has stuck with me. A lot of times in tragedy people say, "Everything happens for a reason." I really can't believe that. I do believe that in the face of tragedy, we are given the opportunity to come together and communicate God's grace through being there for each other. I have really seen communities come together. I have had friends just sit with me and listen. It is in the beauty of this togetherness that I see God. I want to finish with some memories of Ben. His humor and outright randomness was my favorite part of knowing him.

We always played the slap game where you try and slap the other person's hand before they move it away. He was especially good at the crossover slap! We would play for so long that my knuckles would be red for hours. I loved it! We were both so competitive neither of us would want to give up if the other was winning (or if either of us was winning).

At any moment in time, Ben could pull belly button lint out. It did not matter if he had just pulled some out. He could always find more. This grossed me out, mystified me, and impressed me all at the same time.

On a day camp in Madison, we went paddle boating on the lake. Carl and Ben had this overly sized paddle boat that had the huge fan in the back. It looked like it belonged in the bayou or something. While Becca, Carrie and I were on a regular plastic paddle boat. Ben and Carl paddled their way up to us and Ben took a leap of faith and jumped on to our meager boat! The force broke our rudder off and we were stranded! Ben and Carl had to paddle their way in to retrieve oars for us to row our boat to the dock. It was hilarious.

I know that there are so many more memories to share. I also know that so many other people have more. This is an unreal situation. Friday is his memorial service at Luther. I have mixed feelings. I have been craving being in the presence of mutual friends, friends who understand what kind of loss this is. But I know that it will seem more real, and I don't know how ready I am for that.

Thank you for reading. I ask that you all pray for Ben, his family, his friends and for the thousands of people suffering in Haiti.

Here's hoping for healing.

No comments: